Search This Blog

Friday, August 21, 2009

Spicy Bean Dish=Protien!

Calorie for calorie, beans are the best source of protein out there, regardless if your vegan, vegetarian, or carnivore. I did a comparison of beef to beans and heres what I found:



If you count the protein per calorie, beans win over beef. In addition, beans have lots of fiber, calcium, and other important nutrients not listed on the chart. What does beef have? Well, for starters, its got 22g of FAT. Thats right, and its not the healthy kind either. The calorie and fat count doesnt even include that fat the meat will be cooked in.

This chart is not all inclusive in any way. There are MANY types of beans to choose from. I just made a list of the ones I currently have in my cupboard. Well, I made a spicy bean dish for my husband and I (yes, even he could eat this vegan dish). I found this recipe online. Whoever posted it claimed it was a Moroccan Lubia recipe. Problem is, its not like any (real) Moroccan Lubia that I've tasted. But it was a good dish anyway. I wouldnt call it Moroccan Lubia, but definitely a great spicy bean dish.


Spicy White Beans

1 quart cold water
1 pound white beans (presoaked overnight)
1 clove whole garlic
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
1 clove crushed garlic
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 Tbsp sweet red paprika
2 bay leaves
2 tsp salt
2 cups crushed tomatoes
2 tsp ground cumin

1)In a stew pot, boil water with beans, cloves and onion until vegetables
are tender.
2)In a saucepan, sauté minced garlic in some olive oil, chopped parsley, hot pepper flakes, paprika, bay leaves and salt for 3-5 minutes.
3)When seasonings are slightly smoking, add crushed tomatoes, ground cumin and one cup of water.
4)Add the cooked beans, onions, and ¾ cup of the water from the beans to the tomato mixture.
5)Simmer for a few more minutes covered until all the flavors blend together.
6)Garnish with more parsley, and serve with warm bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment