Search This Blog

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Homemade Granola


Today's task was to bake some low sugar granola. I also needed to use up some of my coconut meat and almond pulp, so its all in there. This was my first time ever making granola. I was surprised at how quick, easy, and versatile this food can be to make. I can put in whatever dried fruits, whatever nuts, and whatever else I want in there. I have to say I am very happy with the results. The calorie count is slightly less than that of store bought Naked Granola (Fruit and Nut). I also had half the sugar they do. Its definitely worth making granola at home. Its cheaper, tastier, and you can add whatever you want. You also dont get stuck with all kinds of preservatives in your food.

Homemade Granola
(This recipe makes a total of about 7 to 7.5 cups of granola. I made a double batch)
Dry Ingredients
3 Cup Rolled Oats
1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 cup Coconut
1/4 cup Wheat Bran
1/8 cup Wheat Germ
1/8 cup Almond Pulp
1/2 cup Chopped Nuts/Seeds
1/2 Tbsp Salt
1/4 cup Splenda

Wet Ingredients
1/4 cup Water
1/2 cup Oil
1/4 cup Honey
1 tsp Vanilla

1/2 cup chopped Dried Fruit

1) Mix together the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
2) Mix together wet ingredients in a wet measuring cup.
3) Heat wet ingredients in microwave for 1 minute (to melt the honey).
4) Add to the dry ingredients and mix well.
5) Bake at 350F for 20-25 minutes till golden brown and dry.
6) Add dried fruit after baking the granola.



Mixing granola in a large pot (my bowls werent big enough)

Cooling Granola on a tray after baking

Complete granola in bags.

No comments:

Post a Comment