Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Almond Truffles


Today I decided I really wanted something tasty. I found a recipe online for almond truffles. I have to say, its not as easy as it looked in the video. As hard as I tried to stay clean, I got chocolate everywhere! The smell of the roasted almonds and orange blossom water was tempting me to try eating the little almond balls before dipping them! I would not reccomend dipping my hands into the chocolate to coat the truffles. I used two spoons instead. I also think its better to grind the almonds by themselves before adding the powdered sugar and the orange blossom water. Otherwise the food processor has a harder time grinding the almonds to a "fine paste". In addition to the almond truffles in the photo, I also made a few without any coating. I cant wait to try them at "breakfast"!

Almond Truffles
1 1/3 cup Blanched Almonds
1 1/3 cup Powdered Sugar
2 Tbsp Orange Blossom Water
9 oz Melted Chocolate
Coatings: Cocoa powder,chopped nuts, coconut, powder sugar...

1) To Blanch: Toss Almonds in Boiling water for 1 min, drain, rinse in cold water, remove skins, and pat dry.
2) Roast the Almonds in oven at 300F for 20 minutes (if almonds are completely dry, cook only 10 minutes).
3) In a food processor, grind the almonds to a powder.
4) Add powdered sugar, and orange blossom water. Blend till you have a thick paste.
5) Make small balls with the almond paste.
6) Melt the chocolate using the double boiler method.
7) Cool chocolate till no longer hot.
8) Use two spoons to dip balls into chocolate.
9) Place the chocolate covered balls in coating and let them sit for a few seconds. If you are using powdered sugar or cocoa as a coating, make sure to sift it first.
10) Roll the balls around in coating and place in the fridge for an hour.
Heres the link to the video I got the recipe from:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncAMgXr1PAU

Rolling the almond paste balls

Setup: Melted Chocolate, almond balls, and toppings.

Dipping the chocolate covered almond balls into toppings.

Final product: a beauty!

No comments:

Post a Comment